Friday, March 2, 2012

Eye Tracking

Looking back at my notes I took during the lecture about eye tracking, I remember a few things.

In a lot of cases, the eye tracking really did not show any distinct patterns.  However, in multiple choice questions involving chemical structures, student who got the answers incorrect really focused at the incorrect answers, apparently trying to eliminate one or more of the answers.  Students who got the problems correct often focused on the correct answer and did not spend a lot of time looking at the incorrect answers, trying to verify the correct answer.

In problems involving numerical answers (i.e. how many carbon atoms are present in 43.22 grams of carbon?) where extraneous information was given, lower ability students focused on the extraneous information quite intently, whereas higher ability students only glanced at the extraneous information.

I also am not sure if he will continue to do research in that area if he were to come to UGA, but it is very interesting.

I would also be interested in research using eye tracking software to perhaps detect Asperger's spectrum disorder, or prosopagnosia (face-blindness), the latter of which I am pretty sure I have (face-blindness).  I'm wondering if people with those issues spend a longer time staring at people, trying to "map" facial features.

1 comment:

  1. Scholars in advertising use eye tracking to determine emotion to certain ads. I think it could be used to focus on prosopagnosia or Apserger's spectrum disorder.

    ReplyDelete