Monday, March 5, 2012

Copyrights and old games

I had posted a link to the ELC discussion board about an article about copyright issues, and that it is likely you may be violating copyright and not even know it.

Back in my time (I won't say how old I am) the major issues were software piracy and "dubbing" of cassette tapes.  Most of my friends thought nothing of copying cassette or software.  In addition, there was lots of software "cracking" programs out there that actually facilitated the process.

One thing that is interesting is that most of the material is now online.  I could actually download an Apple IIe emulator and a Commodore 64 emulator, and play the games that I once played back in the heyday!  I am now able to play games like Archon, Black Magic, Phantasie, and many others on these emulators.  Yeah!!!!!

This is an interesting dilemma.  If these were illegal, would they have been shut down by now?  However, my impression is that these sites have some support from the software authors.  If that is not the case, then I better clean my computer.

One final question about copyright is this.  Let's say I buy a Britney Spears CD (yes, I have most of them).  I, like most Americans get tired of it after listening to it for 30 minutes.  I then donate the CD to a thrift store (love them thrift stores).  If another sucker (I mean, person) buys the CD, isn't Britney being cheated out of royalties for that sale?

Some corporations base lawsuits on profit.  If it costs our lawyers $2000 to recover $100 in lost royalties, most companies would not do it, even though pursing legal action is the right thing to do.  Even the police may say "it's not worth our time".

2 comments:

  1. John, I own all the old systems of games, nes, super, genesis, atari, etc. I have never used a emulator, but I hear they are cool. I am totally with your train of thought on the thrift store thing. What about a library? They are loaning out movies, books, cds etc, Why arent artists upset about that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As to your question concerning the CD you can sell your tangible copy of a CD to another person and that's not a copyright violation (the same idea applies to book swaps at flea markets). However, swaping it digitally presents a copyright issue. However, Napster's argument was essentially that online file sharing is just like selling your copy of your CD. However, the courts didn't buy that argument.

    ReplyDelete