Sunday, March 4, 2012

Social Media - How it Helped My Research

One aspect of my research is the ability to manipulate data.  I had looked up how to convert my three column data into a two dimensional array.  Most of the responses have been "Perl", "Access", and other strange ideas.  However, one idea which came up was "Pivot Table".  I had previously tried to use a pivot table in Excel, but to no avail.

So, I became a Google jockey and Googled "Pivot table".  One of my top hits was a YouTube video.  So I watched the video.  I was quite excited as the number of likes greatly outnumbered the number of dislikes.  Also, most of the comments were extremely positive.  Ten minutes later, (5 for the video and 5 for experimenting), I was able to convert my data into a pivot table.  After five more minutes, I was able to convert the data into a format that I could use.

It made me happy and also depressed.  Here I had wasted time on an inefficient process, only to find a really efficient process (and I did not have to learn a new programming language).

This shows you the wealth of information on the internet, especially YouTube.  I do have one question.  Has anyone been "Rick Rolled" on YouTube??

2 comments:

  1. Great job googling and youtubing to get what you needed

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use YouTube all the time in my multivariate statistics class all the time. Sometimes it helps to be able to watch videos and focus on aspects that you don't understand.

    ReplyDelete